The hub has been launched to support new firms by assisting when they apply for authorisation, throughout the authorisation process and afterwards.
The authorisation hub will not lower entry standards to the market and entrants will need to meet the same rigorous standards as current firms before they receive authorisation.
Today marks the start of phase one of the hub which will offer new firms pre-application meetings, dedicated case officers and access to the new website portal. This will make it easier for firms to understand how the FCA works, make a complete submission, and transition from our authorisation to supervision regime. Future phases will feature open days and surgeries for firms.
Megan Butler, Executive Director of Supervision – Investment, Wholesale and Specialists, said:
“The asset management sector is important for the UK economy.
“We want to aid new entrants to the market and the hub will help new firms understand us better as an organisation.”
The user friendly system is based on four principal objectives:
- To clarify expectations - and support firms with better guidance on regulations and processes.
- To make information easier to access via a dedicated portal for investment managers on the FCA’s website.
- To foster better engagement between the FCA and new entrants.
- To provide end-to-end support for firms moving through the start-up cycle.
The FCA currently regulates more than 3000 asset managers and approved 300 new firms in 2016.
Further phases of the hub will be rolled out throughout 2018.
Notes to editors
- Asset management authorisation hub
- The FCA has an overarching strategic objective of ensuring the relevant markets function well. To support this it has three operational objectives: to secure an appropriate degree of protection for consumers; to protect and enhance the integrity of the UK financial system; and to promote effective competition in the interests of consumers.
- Find out more information about the FCA.
Subscribe to The Financial Analyst to get original opinion and all the latest news on trending financial topics and breaking stories related to analysis and global markets. If you have a tip or a financial opinion to share get in touch to submit your story.